Thursday, October 9, 2008

To all those Nordstrom Cafe fans...

Since I have moved to Texas, Nordstom is not that close, and to top it off they only serve my favorite item on Fridays. Their Tomato Basil Soup is amazing! So, I was determined to find the recipe for myself. I made it last week and it tastes like the real thing! Ingredients 1 1/8 cups canned peeled plum tomatoes 4 1/2 ounces carrots, chopped 4 1/2 ounces onions, chopped 1 1/8 teaspoons dry basil 4 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, 3 cups water, 1 1/2 oz. chicken base, 1 1/8 cup heavy cream, 1 1/8 tsp salt, 1 1/8 tsp pepper

Directions

  • In a large stock pot, sautee the olive oil, carrots, and onions at medium heat for 15 minutes.
  • Add the basil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
  • In a large bowl, whisk the chicken base into the water until dissolved.
  • Add the water mixture to the stock pot, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 45 minutes.
  • Puree the soup using a hand blender while adding the heavy cream until it reaches a thin consistency.

Even if you have not tried this soup at Nordtrom, I still recommend you try it. It has a great flavor, and a perfect fall meal

11 comments:

Amelia said...

I'm totally going to try this soup on the next cold day, it sounds so good! I haven't ever had the soup, but I always had their Chicken tomato basil pasta...YUM (I think you were saying its the same base, right?)!

lynda said...

Sounds good Tif!

Sallie said...

Yummy. I love Tomato Basil. I haven't had it a Nordys, but I've had some at Panera and a Patrizios. I'll be trying this over the weekend.

Sallie said...

How much chicken stock, water, and cream?

Letti said...

I am so glad that you posted this recipe. I love that soup.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Sallie, I went back and added the rest of the ingredients. I hope you do make it. You won't be sorry!

Sallie said...

Yummy! We made it today for our after school snack. Grilled Cheese Pumpkin Sandwiches and Tomato Basil Soup. I only bought one thing of cream, so it was short a little bit of cream.

The Norris Family said...

Mmmmmmm. I can't wait to make the soup. I LOVE the Nordstrom cafe!

Tasha said...

I have never tried this, but Mmm, it looks delicious!

apee said...

I used to eat soup everyday when I worked there. Partly because I love it and partly because I was really poor and they give you a yummy roll. So with my discount and a few bucks I was well fed hee hee

apee said...

Oh also Nordies has a freinds and family cookbook you can buy it. I got one for my sister one year,